Friday, October 14, 2011

Grammar Snob

The past few weeks, I've been reviewing resumes, hoping to find someone to hire to work with me.  It's very hard for me not to be too critical of the resumes.  I have had a lot of experience with writing resumes and taken some classes to learn more about resume writing.  However, if an agency is sending resumes like some I have received, I really have to start questioning their abilities.  

I admit that I am a grammar snob. I don't always get my own grammar correct, I realize that. However, if somoene is typing a business communication, such as an email or resume, he or she should take some time to proofread the document or have someone else proofread it. At the very least, run it through Microsoft Word Spelling and Grammar Check! 

Sometimes, the mistakes are funny.  Last Friday, one such resume made me laugh so hard that I cried.  It still gives me a chuckle when I think about it.  The sentence reads, "...the ability to solve issues, and finish projects in a timely manor."  I read this sentence about 3 times before I was postitive that I was correct in thinking the proper use of the word is "manner".  And then I really started laughing because I thought to myself, "Hmmm, I want to have a timely manor in which to finish MY projects rather than working at my desk."  I got the giggles all over again, especially when I envisioned what my "timely manor" would look like. 

Ironically, we interviewed the person who wrote this resume and have hired him to work for us.  I can help someone with writing and grammar if they will help me take care of my network. 

2 comments:

  1. When I went to work at UMPH they were sending out letters to companies to get one to publish the New Revised Standard Version of the Bible. In one letter my boss had the word Bible several times - understandibly so. I typed the letter, ran it through Spell check and when he went to sign it he saw in stead of Bible I had typed BILE and it went through Spell Check because it was a valid word. Sure glad he caught it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm glad he caught it too! There's something to be said for the human eye. :)

    ReplyDelete