Thursday, October 13, 2011

Obituaries

Almost every day, I read the obituaries in our newspaper.  Yes, I realize I am only in my 40s and you might find it morbid that I read the obits daily.  I find it interesting and informative...and sad.  Interesting when I read about someone 100 years old or older dying.  I think, "What a long life they lived!" and  "Imagine all the amazing (and not so amazing) changes they saw over their lifetime."   I have also realized that loved ones of friends have passed away, giving me a chance to reach out to them as I may not be in touch as often as I once was.  And then I ran across an obituary last week that brought back memories of when I was in high school.  There was a notice that a woman had died and as I read her name, I thought, "That name sounds familiar and her face is familiar, but I cannot place her."  I read through her column and there it was - the reason I knew this lady.  Back in the 80's she taught water aerobics at the YMCA where I worked.  She must have been in her 60s then and I always loved it that an "older" person worked with me doing the same things I did, even though we were years apart in age.  Annie (not her real name) was such a kind woman with a great sense of humor.  I didn't really know her all that well, but working with her gave me a new respect for "older" people and their abilities.
I will continue to read the obituaries and hopefully not be able to recognize too many people I know too soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment