Friday, February 25, 2011

The Varmint in the Shell

Yesterday, my mom commented on my blog and asked me to write her a poem about "the varmint coming out of her shell".  Well, I think I need to clarify what this means.  :)

For Thanksgiving, Mom, Dad, Jim and I were in Biloxi, MS together.  We walked on the beach and found a lot of shells and some of them had hermit crabs living in them.  We only took a few of the empty shells with us, leaving the live crabs on the beach where they belong.  Or so we thought.  Mom and Dad went back to LA for another week or two, then drove home to TN with their shells from the beach.  After they got home, they realized, as one of the shells moved across the counter, that they had brought a hermit crab home accidentally.  I have NO earthly idea HOW this little critter lived for a week or 2 without saltwater or food. 
So, here goes on the poem for Mom:

The shell looked empty
on the shore
It stayed quiet in the truck,
riding from LA to TN
then took a walk
across the kitchen

Or maybe a limerick:

She picked up a shell from the beach
And left it in the truck within reach
It quietly rode
To their humble abode
And then crawled, making my mother SCREECH

Well, that's all I have for today.  Not my best work on such short notice, but I'm sure it's entertaining!

4 comments:

  1. Here's a song, to boot:

    The varmint in the shell
    the varmint in the shell
    Hi ho the dairee-oh
    the varmint in the shell

    the varmint took a walk
    the varmint took a walk
    hi ho the dairee-oh
    the varmint took a walk

    he made my mama scream
    he made my mama scream
    hi ho the dairee-oh
    he made my mama scream

    my daddy threw him out
    my daddy threw him out
    hi ho the dairee-oh
    my daddy threw him out

    the varmint is no more
    the varmint is no more
    he ho the dairee-oh
    the varmint is no more

    ReplyDelete
  2. ok, my verification word for that was "winety"...that's how old I'll be on my next birthday, I hope.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love your song! And your age-to-be!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh that is SOOOOOOOOOOOOO funny. Both of you. I LOVED the poem and that song needs to be published too.

    ReplyDelete