Monday, February 27, 2012

The Planets are aligning

I noticed on weather.com yesterday evening that we would be able to see Jupiter and Venus near the moon.  Well, it was just about dusk, so I went outside and there they were!  It was so amazing to be able to see them with the naked eye.  I told Jim and Benjamin and they came out too.  Benjamin grabbed his telescope, but it's a cheap one and we weren't able to see anything clearly through it.  However, it was still neat to be able to see planets in the sky at dusk.  This morning when I went out to feed the cats, I believe I saw Mercury in the sky.  I've always loved watching the sky for planets, comets, and eclipses.  In the next few weeks, we'll be able to see Venus, Jupiter and Mercury just after sunset!  Here's a neat site on the internet that tells you more if you are interested: http://www.skyandtelescope.com/observing/ataglance.

I tried to take some pictures last night, but they were all blurry and too far away to really see much. Weather.com has some good pictures, though, if you are interested in seeing some. 

Enjoy the night sky if you can!



2 comments:

  1. I also was able to see them. I stoled the internet
    site from your blog for future use.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I saw them too. Pretty neat and oh, so clear.

    ReplyDelete